To install additional software required to support various types of multimedia:
The GUI way
- Applications->Add/Remove Applications.
xineinto the search box at the top.
- Find “Xine extra plugins” in the list and tick it.
- Find and select “Gstreamer extra codec” and “Sun Java 5.0 Plugin”
- Press OK.
The Command Line way
This is much quicker as long as you know the names of the packages you want to install.
Install codecs etc: <pre>sudo apt-get install sox vorbis-tools flac lame mpg321 faad faac</pre>
Install the Xine-backend version of Totem: <pre>sudo apt-get install totem-xine</pre>
The version of Flash in Ubuntu 6.10 is v7 which is quite old. Lots of websites now require version 9, which is easy to install in Firefox:
- Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
- Click on the green jigsaw piece icon to install the current version of Flash.